32 Hairpin Bend
Indian & Chinese
Zuluk or Dzuluk, standing at an altitude of 9500 ft. is truly a paradise on Earth and is a definition of peace. Zuluk is a hamlet near Indo-China border in the eastern part of Sikkim. The flawless land consists of 700 people residing and most of them have immigrated from Nepal. The astonishing view of Mt. Kanchendzonga is one of the main attractions here. Apart from the views of the snow-clad mountains the roads or better say the loop is not less exciting. The zig-zag path leads to the Thambi viewpoint is another attraction. The freezing cold temperature of Zuluk gives a thrilling experience on the way or off the way.
On the early decades, Zuluk was the only way of trade between India and Tibet, which is known again as Old Silk Route. The barter exchange method of trade used to be practiced through this Silk Route. So, it has some historical value too, which puts a mark of heritage.
Sightseeing Places in and around the Hamlet
- Zuluk Loop: The stunning road of Zuluk has around 30 hairpin bend which lead towards Zuluk village. The sharp bends look wonderful and is one of the most beautiful human-made road ways.
- Ganek: Ganek is the sunrise point located near Zuluk in the old silkroute circuit. Unlike the other viewpoints Ganek has something different to offer. The view of snow clad Kanchendzonga will surprise you with addition of the sunrise.
- Thambi ViewPoint: The viewpoint standing at an altitude of 10500 ft. is incomparable as it is the ideal place for the panoramic view of the Zuluk. The view of Mt. Kanchendzonga is also much prominent from here.
- Lungthung: Lungthung or also known as Dhupidhara is standing at the height of 12500 ft. For the bird enthusiast, the much popular bird known as Monal the national bird of Nepal can be sighted here.
- Menmecho Lake: Located at the height of 12500 ft. Memencho Lake is only 20 k.m. away from the Changu Lake. The lake is famous for its the acquisition of Trout fish.
- Old Baba Mandir: To honor martyr Sepoy Harbhajan Singh Old Baba Mandir has been created and well maintained by the Indian Army. On the top of the temple you can find the bunker of Sepoy Harbhajan Singh.
- Tsomgo or Changu Lake: The most popular tourist attraction of this point is Changu Lake or Tsomgo Lake. The lake is declared as a holy lake and to visit here a lot of travel enthusiast gathers together.
How to reach Zuluk
The nearest railway station is NJP railway station Siliguri and the airport is Bagdogra Airport. You may hire a car directly towards Zuluk from here which is about 160 k.m. or towards Rangpo check-post from where you can get a shared cab or hire for Zuluk. Phademchen is the check-post for Old Silk Route where you have to make the pass for Zuluk from the DFO and the passes are available from the Day time to 4 p.m. on the week days.
How to Get the Permit to Visit Zuluk
Most important thing to visit Zuluk is the permits. One can attain the permits from the tourism office which is a bit easier and the other way is by visiting the DFO office. With few documentations of the identity proofs along with passport sized photographs the permits get ready. One cannot visit the Old Silk Route without the proper permits and pass.
Where to Stay in this Settlement
The possibly best way to accommodate in Zuluk is the home stays. You can book for the home stays available there. The home stays provide basic facilities one may get in such a remote place. It's hygienic and fulfils all the basic needs to stay which includes the food on the asked prices along with "Bukhari" or the room heaters to keep the rooms warm. The view in the morning from these home stays and the environment will definitely melt your heart. The people are very polite and humble as well.
Best Time to Visit Zuluk
Zuluk can be visited in both summer and winter but avoiding the monsoon will be wise as the beauty remains hidden in the blanket of fog and the roads becomes quite difficult due to heavy rainfall in the month of July-August. Summer in Zuluk is a treaty manner for the travellers to oneself. Views are clearer and the weather remains very pleasant. Winter in high altitude region is nothing less than a snow desert. Views of the icy paths and the snow-clad mountains will surprise you.
As the place is a high mountain pass the temperature remains cool throughout the year. In summer the maximum temperature is 17? to 18? and minimum is 2? whereas in winter the spine-chilling cold wind blows and makes it to maximum 10°C and minimum -3°C.