Indian & Chinese
Ramdhura a pristine abode, located at the height of 5000 ft. is the new attraction for the off-beat destination seekers. The newly discovered place is just an example of tranquillity at its best. Situated in Kalimpong district of West Bengal and just 15 kilometres from the Kalimpong town itself. The hamlet is well known for its great scenic beauty and the surroundings which mesmerize the travellers.
The name Ramdhura derives from Lord Ram and where Dhura means village. The suburb has such an unhindered stunning view of Mt. Kanchendzonga and the taintless Teesta River. The splendid view of the sun-kissed Pine forest with the green lush cannot be avoidable in any aspect.
Places to see in and around the Village
As Ramdhura is located in Kalimpong it is surrounded by numerous tourist attractions apart from the spectacles of the wonderful mountain ranges and the valleys.
- Delo Hill: Delo is one of the two hills where the Kalimpong town is situated in between. Located at the northeast part of the town Delo has the perfect panoramic 360-degree view of Kalimpong town and its surroundings. The Delo Science Park is a must-visit place for curious travellers and the science enthusiasts.
- Durpin Dara: Along with Delo hill, Durpin is another hill among the two between where Kalimpong is situated. At the top of Durpin Dara, there is Zang Dhok Palri Monastery which was sanctified by Dalai Lama in the year of 1976. The holy books and scrolls along with Kangyur had been moved here from Tibet at the time of the Chinese invasion.
- Pedong Monastery: Pedong Monastery or Sangchen Dorjee Monastery is one of the ancient and the holiest monastery among the country. Inside the monastery, there are showcases of numerous paintings which depict the characteristics of the ancient flows of Buddhism and the early lifestyles of the community.
- Sillery Gaon: Located at the height of 6000 ft. on the slope of the mountains and almost 8 k.m. from Pedong, Sillery Gaon is a small tranquil hamlet and the blessing of nature. The beautifully structured natural substances will blow your mind. The specificity of this place is unmatchable. Stunning views of the valleys and the mountains are just wordless descriptions. One must witness the elegance of Sillery gaon while roaming in Pedong.
- Cinchona Plantations: The plantation of Cinchona has been established in the year of 1864 under the supervision of Dr Thomas Anderson to procreate Quinine the medicine for malaria. The British built plant has become a tourist attraction.
Things to do in the Village
Ramdhura offers quite exciting things to do there which might fit appropriate for the adventure enthusiasts. One can visit Delo for paragliding which is arranged by the people of the local community. Rafting in River Teesta is a thrilling opportunity and one can have an enthralling challenge by availing rock climbing facility just a few kilometres away from Kalimpong town.
How to reach Ramdhura
The nearby railway station is New Jalpaiguri Station in Siliguri and for the flight, there is Bagdogra Airport. One can hire a car towards Kalimpong which is around 70 k.m. from Siliguri. After reaching Kalimpong take a left turn upward to the west of the town and within an hour one can reach Ramdhura. Roads are steep in nature so it takes a bit time even to complete 15 kilometres.
Where to stay in Ramdhura
As it is a peaceful hamlet on the foothills of the Himalayan range the best way to take a shelter here are homestays. The homestays are quite clean and hygienic in nature. It has all the basic needs being provided by the owners of the homestays. Electricity, comfortable rooms and beddings, homely environment and of course a delicious meal are also being provided according to the preferences.
Best Time to visit Ramdhura
The heavenly settlement can be visited at any time of the year. In summer it gives a blessing with its cozy cool breeze and moderate temperature which can be enjoyed at full.
Visiting in winter will cost to the freezing cold as the altitude is deliberately high. The mountain village is on the slope of the Himalayan steep, so naturally, it has the feature of bone-chilling cold weather in winter.
The best season to visit is the monsoon. The rain brings the lively nature back. The greenery and the landscaped picturesque looks wondrous in monsoon but yet there will be no clearer view of Mt. Kanchendzonga.
Ramdhura is a place where one can get very intimate with nature. The natural substances are well served in Ramdhura. It acquires mountains of the great Himalayas, majestic River Teesta, rich Pine and Fir forests and an amusing number of discriminating flowers including the Rhododendron and Orchids.