Scenic, Waterfall, Monastery
Hindi, Nepali, English
Gangtok is a picturesque hilly town nestled in the Himalayan state of Sikkim. Situated at an altitude of 1600 meters above the sea level, this capital town of Sikkim is truly a paradise among the nature enthusiasts visiting Sikkim.
Known for offering the spectacular view of the snow-peaked Kanchenjunga, soothing weather, ever-smiling people and delicious cuisine, Gangtok has bewitched the minds of many travellers throughout these years.
Sightseeing Places to Visit in Gangtok
Gangtok, being one of the major tourism hubs in Sikkim, offers many sightseeing places to explore and they are as follows.
- Namgyal Institute of Tibetology: It is a major centre for Buddhist study in Sikkim. The institute exhibits a rare collection of Tibetans, Sanskrit and Lepcha manuscripts, statues and also more than 200 Buddhist icons.
- Tashi View Point: Built by the former king of Sikkim Sri. Tashi Namgyal and just 8 km away from the town, Tashi Viewpoint offers a splendid view of Mt. Siniolchu and Mt. Kanchenjunga.
- Rumtek Monastery: The largest monastery in the Eastern Himalaya which is just 24 km away from the heart of the town.
- Tsomgo Lake: It is a serene lake just 40 km away from Gangtok and located at an altitude of 3780m.
- Mahatma Gandhi Marg (MG Marg): It is one of the popular sightseeing places in Gangtok which is a pedestrian-only street.
- Flower Exhibition Centre: Here one can relish the beauty of a wide variety of orchids, seasonal flowers as well as bonsai.
- Ganesh Tok: Just about 7km away from the town, Ganesh Tok offers breathtaking panoramic view of the entire city. A small temple of Lord Ganesh can also be seen here.
- Hanuman Tok: It is located just above Ganesh Tok from where the entire Himalayan Range along with the alluring town's bird's eye view can be witnessed.
Things to Do in this Bustling Town
The bustling city known for its ever-growing tourism does not disappoint its adventure-loving tourists at all. You can have a thrilling cable car ride to catch a complete aerial view of the town. Shopping and strolling around the iconic MG Marg can be done which is going to be a memorable experience in itself. Botany enthusiast can visit the flower exhibition centre to observe a different kind of blossoming flowers.
How to Reach Gangtok in Sikkim
Gangtok is nicely connected with most of its adjacent locations. Bagdogra is its closest airport at a distance of about 123 kilometres whereas NJP is the nearest railway station at a distance of 120 kilometres.
Hired taxi is available from NJP, Bagdogra or Siliguri to reach the town. There is also bus service available from Siliguri.
Hotels to Stay in Gangtok
Accommodation is not a problem at all in this town. There are budget hotels as well as the deluxe one for a comfortable night stay. All the basic amenities are there in these hotels such as attached Western Bathrooms, Electricity, Cosy rooms, etc.
Best Time to Visit this Town
October and mid-December are considered to be the best time to visit Gangtok as you will get to witness a captivating view of the Himalayan Peaks. You can visit from March to May also to enjoy the fascinating view of the blooming rhododendrons.