Indian & Chinese
Rolep is a tranquil village of Sikkim and also one of the less-visited offbeat destinations. It has been preferred by many ardent offbeat travellers. Located in the eastern part of Sikkim, Rolep is just 20 kilometres away from Rongli. A placid hamlet with such a beauty defining landscape gives a perfect solitude to any wanderer.
The mesmeric sights of the forests, Himalayan mountain ranges and rivers are just overwhelming. Rolep is a newly found gem in East Sikkim district. The slow-paced village life, the natural peace with a pacific environment lying on the lap of Mother Nature of the wondrous Himalayas is such a precious present of the universe.
Sightseeing Places in and around Rolep
- Buddha Waterfalls: An amazing waterfall in Rolep, Buddha waterfall is a 45ft high falls which is a stunning point of attraction. People often go and get wet into the falls. It is so beautiful that it seems like it is coming from the sky.
- Buddha Cave: For the adventure enthusiasts a short trek leading towards Buddha Cave would be a piece of cake. It is considered to be a holy cave where an idol of Guru Rinpoche is placed. There is a small pond which never gets dry.
- Menmecho Lake: Menmecho Lake is one of the most beautiful lakes in Sikkim. At the height of 12,500 ft. the lake is surrounded by the rich Pine forest and some deep slopes. There is a viewpoint on the bank of the lake which offers the trekkers to take rest and enjoy the calmness of the lake.
- Tsomgo Lake: Tsomgo Lake or Changu Lake situated at the height of 12,313 ft. is a glacial lake. The oval-shaped lake is surrounded by the mountain slopes. Around Tsongmo Lake rich alpine forest cover the catchment of the lake. The periphery of the lake has a scenic beauty for the blooming flowers like rhododendrons, primulas etc.
- Lampokhri Lake: The Aritar Lake or Lampokhari Lake is one of the amazing and well-known tourist destinations in East Sikkim. The boot-shaped lake is covered by the Himalayan range Pine forest. One can have a boating chance on this crystal-clear water.
- Mankhim: Mankhim is the viewpoint situated on the top of Lampokhari Lake. The viewpoint is quite famous among travellers as it offers some stunning views of the gigantic Mt. Kanchendzonga and the amazing bird's eye view of the Lampokhari Lake.
How to Reach Rolep in Sikkim
The nearest railway station is New Jalpaiguri Railway Station in Siliguri from where Rolep is about 150 kilometres and Bagdogra Airport is the nearest airport which is 155 kilometres. One can pre-book a car to reach Rolep directly or hiring a cab from the station or airport is also available. On the shared cab one may reach Rongpo first from where a local taxi would lead towards Rolep which is just 35 kilometers.
Accommodation in the Village
Some of the homestays are there near the river Shoke Khola. The homestays are pretty comfortable in nature. They offer all kind of basic needs like good rooms, cosy beddings etc. and on bonus, the owners are so familiar that no one would feel a home away state. Their humbleness and gentle behaviour always please one.
As the homestays are run by the local families the food is also incredibly delicious as they cook in a homely manner but not for the commercial purpose.
Best Time to Visit Rolep
Rolep can be visited throughout the year. The best time to visit is monsoon and winter. In monsoon the green lush fields become greener and seems like the nature has awaken its beauty to the ultimate point. In winter in spite of a freezing temperature Rolep gives an immense calmness in the mind where summer is moderate.